Exploring Nockamixon Township
A Short History of Nockamixon Township
This area of Bucks County became a township in 1742.
In 1890, Nockamixon Township lost one third of its area to Bridgeton Township.
Nockamixon touches the Delaware River at a place called “the Narrows.” Here red shale cliffs tower above the Delaware River slowing down early transportation on the river banks.
The meaning of the native-inspired name, “Nockamixon” is unknown.
Sections of Nockamixon township have a long history of Native American occupation.
In 1698, the Lenape Tribe settled at the mouth of Gallows Run. In 1730, the Lenape Tribe left Gallows Run and migrated to the Susquehanna River. The influx of white settlers continued. As the number of white settlements grew, the Lenape were driven further and further from their lands. By 1867,the Lenape Tribe faced a forced relocation to Oklahoma along with the Cherokee Tribe. After a legal fight, the Lenape Tribe regained their identity apart from the Cherokee Tribe in 1999.
The names of the early German settlers of Nockamixon Township include Stover, Gintner-Kintner, Traugher, Oberbeck, Deemer, Buck, and Frankenfield.
Early township residents excelled in the production of red tulip ware and in the manufacture of charcoal.