A Short History of Nockamixon Township
Nockamixon became a township in 1742 and remained intact for many years. However, it lost one third of its area when Bridgeton formed a separate township.
The Natural Beauty of Nockamixon Township
Nockamixon touches the Delaware River at a place called “the Narrows.” Here red shale cliffs tower above the Delaware River. These cliffs slowed down early transportation along the banks of the Delaware River.
The meaning of the native-inspired name, “Nockamixon” is unknown.
Sections of Nockamixon township have a long history of Native American occupation.
In 1698, the Lenape Tribe settled at the mouth of Gallows Run. In 1730, the Lenape Tribe left Gallows Run and migrated to the Susquehanna River. The influx of white settlers continued.
As the number of white settlements grew, the Lenape were driven further and further from their lands.
By 1867, the Lenape Tribe faced a forced relocation to Oklahoma along with the Cherokee Tribe. After a legal fight, the Lenape Tribe regained their separate identity from the Cherokee Tribe in 1999.
The names of the early German settlers of Nockamixon Township include Stover, Gintner-Kintner, Traugher, Oberbeck, Deemer, Buck, and Frankenfield.
Early township residents excelled in the production of red tulip ware and in the manufacture of charcoal.
Exploring Bridgeton Township
This township was named for a bridge that crosses the Delaware River between Upper Black Eddy, Pennsylvania and Milford, New Jersey. As to its size, Bridgeton Township is 6.7 square miles in size and is one of the smaller townships in Bucks County.
“Small But Beautiful” Bridgeton encompasses scenic and beautiful views both from Bridgeton Hill Road and from the banks of the Delaware River.
Perhaps, one of the most noted locations in the township includes a rock formation known as “Ringing Rocks.”
Recognized by Bucks County for their distinctive sound, the Bucks County Park System maintains “Ringing Rocks Park.”
Springfield Township History
Finding Bucks County’s Springfield Township may prove difficult to one unfamiliar with Southeastern Pennsylvania. You see, similarly named townships exist in Montgomery and Delaware Counties, too.
This township is at the border with Northampton and Lehigh Counties and may be located on this map.
The Lenni Lenape tribe lived in this area generations before the white man arrived from Europe. And while William Penn, the proprietor of Pennsylvania, treated the native populations with respect, his sons did not. The Infamous Walking Purchase of 1737, swindled 1,200 square miles from the Delaware tribes. Afterwards, some of this land became Springfield Township.
Bridge Street Farm is located in this area of Upper Bucks County..